If you have a family pet, particularly a dog, you know how much they like to spend time with you and there’s no better place to get some quality time with man’s (and women’s) best friend than while you’re camping.
Dogs love the outdoors, they love to run and play, and they love to walk. This makes camping a dog’s dream come true!
Here are some useful tips and tricks for when you’re camping with your furry companion:
BEFORE YOU CAMP
- Make sure the campsites you’re going to allow dogs and find out if there are any specific rules or restrictions.
- Make sure you have a proper leash and collar.
- Bring plenty of food. Dry food is best while camping as it’s less likely than wet food to attract insects or wildlife.
- When you have a dog, you basically have a hairy baby. Be sure to bring toys, blanket, and bed so your dog feels secure and at home.
- Make regular stops to give your dog a bathroom break and some exercise.
- Make sure there is plenty of ventilation in your vehicle so your pet doesn’t get too hot.
- Keep your dog on a leash unless otherwise posted
- Use a flea/tick repellant collar or dog spray. Dogs are at a higher risk to pick up insects.
- Never leave your dog unattended.
- Be attentive of your dog at all times, particularly around the campfire.
- Get some exercise. Your dog is going to want to run and play and swim. Take your dog on walks and get him involved in your camping activities. Try not to have him tied up all day and night as that’s not making the most of his camping experience.
- If you decide to sleep with your dog in your tent or RV, you’ll benefit from the extra body heat, therefore keeping you and your dog warmer.
- Make sure your dog has enough shade in order to stay cool. Heatstroke can be serious for dogs so make sure they have a place to get out of the sun and plenty of water to drink.
- Try your best to keep your dog as quiet as possible. Barking dogs disturb other campers and surrounding wildlife.
- Always pick up after your dog whether in the campsite on hiking trails or anywhere else.
Be safe and have fun out there this summer!
Be sure to visit Mike Rosman’s Parts & Accessories Department for some great accessories for your furry companion like the Portapet Water Boy and the Valterra Pet Dish!